Check Availability

Book by phone or
check late availability

01432 356321

Benefits of booking direct * Free upgrade when available
* Free newspaper
* Late checkout til 12pm

About Us

Castle House is a Grade II listed Georgian villa - once two townhouses - that has a commanding position at the top of Castle Street, with elegant, balconied architecture.

The hotel sits beside what remains of the old Hereford castle moat, now just a reminder of Hereford's once strategic importance. Hereford Castle was important in the 12th and 13th century but once the Edwardian conquest of Wales took place between 1272 and 1284, it lost its importance and fell into ruin. After the Civil War in the 17th century, the castle was demolished completely and the area landscaped for use by local people. The Castle Green, behind the hotel, now forms the heart of the city, and the old castle moat is overlooked by our garden.

In the early 18th century, a local entrepreneur built a pair of fine Georgian villas in what was then the middle of the road facing along Castle Street. The rear of the building was added in the second half of the 19th century when the then-owner Frederick Boulton (you can see an F and B interwined in a blocked up window from the garden) obtained permission to join the two houses together. The spine wall was simply removed and what was once two staircases for each house became the impressively wide one we have now!

From the 1920s Castle House was a boarding house then in the 1940s, it became a genteel hotel, the finest in the city - a reputation it still retains. The hotel is still privately-owned by a local farming family, the Watkins, whose farm kitchen garden provides much of the fresh produce which is on the hotel's menus.  George Watkins is General Manager of the hotel.